Tuesday 16 January 2018

Monday 16th January 2018 - The mean dad.....

That's me according to some. Why? Because my children don't have a mobile phone or Facebook. We have been branded many things because of the stand we have taken. Including, according to one person, endangering our child's life.
We make no apology for the position we take. I think it is well known how much time some kids spend on a mobile phone and the lengths they will go to avoid detection of using one. Facebook and other social media are well known and have been well documented regarding cyber bullying. Just in the last month a young lass took her own life because of years of cyber bullying. Do I want that for my kids? Do you want that for yours? I think not.
We have three kids. Aged from seven to fourteen. They don't have and won't have a mobile phone or Facebook until they are sixteen. One reason is safety. I don't want my children subject to any form of bullying. Full stop. End of story. They face enough pressures in real life. I want them to grow up enjoying the world around. The natural pleasures and innocence of childhood and growing up accordingly.
Also we cannot afford the extra financial pressure of one more phone.
But I will still came back to this recent high profile suicide of a popular figure. She was the face of Acrubra hats. She was very pretty. And seem to have it all. But there was this dark side. The side most of us never see. And it was relentless.
I will happily be branded the mean dad. It's a badge I wear with honour and pride.
Enough...

No comments: